Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving

Let me first start by saying without a doubt Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Maybe it's because I love to cook so much. I love experimenting each year with the turkey and stuffing..so far every year everything has turned out great and I haven't had any mishaps with either. Usually I have the menu planned out weeks in advance, with the dessert menu always longer than the real food. This year I didn't.

The day before I usually cook but I didn't. I actually didn't start until well after 5 pm. I finally went to bed around 11 feeling like I had accomplished alot and wouldn't have the much to do in the morning. I woke up at 6:30 am to see the family minus Dani and Mckenna off to play in the annual Turkey Bowl (football) and I put the turkey in the oven. I started a few things and straightened up a little. I had a couple of friends who were coming for dinner offer to come and help but I assured them all was well and everything was going according to schedule. I was on the phone with one of my friends as I was saying that I really wasn't stressed as I usually was. That changed quickly when I stepped on what I though was a small splinter...I looked at my foot and this is what I saw.....
Since Mike wasn't back yet and I have an extremely low threshold of pain she graciously offered to come and help me. She was at my house in less than 5 minutes and begun surgery on my foot. I wasn't too concerned until she asked for a scalpel.....yes I have lots of those laying around. Mike called about that time and he was at Walmart so he got something scalpely like...a razor blade. Most of it came out but some of it was stuck way down in my foot. Between the two of them cutting and prodding I am still not sure if it all came out. I really thought I was going to have to go to the walk in clinic....the jury is still out on that one. Actually on Sunday I dug the rest of the splinter out of my foot....

We couldn't have asked for a more perfect day. The weather was beautiful and we were able to sit out on the back porch comfortably to enjoy turkey and all the trimmings. We had lots of friends to enjoy the day with and ended the day with a bonfire in the back yard.

Yes I will take the credit for that bird!!!

No comments: