Thursday, June 4, 2009

Yea...its summer!

This has always been one of my favorite times of the year. When I was younger I counted the days until it was time for summer break. It seemed like an eternity and then summer just flew by and it was time to go back. Now it seems the school year flies by and then the summer seems really long. I don't remember having 3 months vacation for summer, maybe I did and perhaps my perspectives have changed from child to parent. I remember riding my bike or walking to the city pool, making forts in my mom's VW van, endless bowls of fruit salad in my mom's huge green bowl, going to the beach, going all night fishing and going to the mall and movies. 

When I was younger, my mom started a tradition by bringing watermelon to my class on the last day of school. That worked as long as I was in elementary school and it's a tradition that I carried on with my children. I realized last year we didn't have a tradition on the last day of school anymore so we decided that we would go to Chili's for lunch after I picked the kids up on the last day of school. It has been fun to sit and talk about the school year and be excited for the next school year. 

When we were there today, Jessika couldn't help remind me that she only has one more of these lunch dates left! Thanks, Jess! No I didn't cry luckily Mckenna was busy trying to rinse her mouth in my water. (Another blog) As we were sitting at the table we noticed that Cody's 5th grade teacher was sitting at the table next to us. I can't believe that it's been 3 years since he was in 5th grade and he will be starting high school!

Then we started talking about how old everyone was getting etc. etc. Mike and I have 1 child/adult in college, 3 children in high school, 1 child in middle school, 1 child in elementary school and 1 child a year away from starting kindergarten. We figured out that Mckenna would be in the class of 2028!!! That's just crazy! Jessika with all of her 17 year old wisdom was quick to point out how old I would be then....but no worries I was quick to remind her that she would be 36!!! Ha I got her! She didn't think I was funny! I promised her that 36 really isn't that old! She isn't convinced!

I am so looking forward to summer. No schedules, no homework, no studying just playing, hanging out or whatever we were in the mood for that day. As time goes on I am treasuring the summers because in a quick second summer is over and the school year will begin again with the children getting older and closer to moving on with the rest of their lives. 

Hopefully with all of my "free" time this summer I will get back into the habit of updating the blog more regularly. 

2 comments:

For the Love of French said...

Yay you did it! you updated!!! Keep it going....I have faith in you cuz!

Damian said...

With all your excitement for summer and spending time with your kids, perhaps you would like to have 2 more around to add to the fun. Zade had a TOTAL meltdown (IKEA style) at the mall today, so the summer is feeling REALLY long now. Maybe we'll just stay locked in the house for the next few months. Who needs sunshine...